Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday--Movie Reviews

Another random list for you all today. If you've been here before, you might have noticed that I like to review/rate the movies I've seen. And we watch A Lot of movies these days thanks to Instant Netflix on our Roku. Lately, I've gotten very behind in my reviewing. So without further ado, 10 movies we've recently watched and what I think of them....



1. The Young Victoria. We'll start with the best of the bunch. I loved this movie (coincidentally, so did Hubby)! A beautiful love story, a little history, goooooorgeous costumes, I highly recommend it. I will be watching it again.



2. The Road. Too disturbing, we stopped watching after 15 minutes. {This one is not available on Instant Netflix, we got it in the mail.}



3. Iron Man. Total piece of crap. I chuckled a few times, the effects were pretty cool, but everything else, awful. What a waste of a great cast!



4. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I turned this on for the kids yesterday and I immediately got hooked. The final sequence was kind of long, but mostly I loved it. Great family movie!



5. Endgame. A movie about the end of apartheid. Really interesting, great cast (William Hurt, Jonny Lee Miller), a little tough to follow (I could have used subtitles but they aren't available on instant (that I know of, please correct me if I'm wrong)). I recommend this one, I'd like to see it again.



6. Seraphine. A slow French movie about a poor artist being discovered by a German critic/dealer. We hung in on till the end despite its slow pace, hoping for a good payoff. Nope, a waste of time. I don't recommend it.



7. The Men Who Stare At Goats. Not as hilariously funny as I was hoping, but entertaining. Loved Ewan MacGregor and George Clooney in their roles, Jeff Bridges is good too.



8. The Constant Gardener. This one is tough to rate. I kind of enjoyed it, but it was tough to follow without subtitles and the characters aren't particularly likeable. We gave up halfway through. The mystery was sort of compelling, though, so I might try to watch it again with subtitles and see if I can follow better. {I should probably mention, we aren't hard of hearing, we just can't crank up the volume without fear of waking the kids. We watch movies when they're asleep.}



9. Waiting for Guffman. One of those Christopher Guest mockumentaries. We were hoping this would be as funny as his dog show movie, but sadly it wasn't. Very lame.



10. A Single Man. {Not available on Instant, we got this is in the mail.} I rented this because we love Colin Firth and he was nominated for an Oscar for this performance. We made it about halfway through (this often happens, we stop when it's time for bed, then decide later if it's worth finishing). His performance was wonderful, but the movie wasn't going anywhere, so we decided we'd seen enough. It was slow and not to our liking.



Agree? Disagree? Please share in the comments. Also, I need your movie suggestions. As you can see, we've had a few stinkers lately, and I would love your recommendations! Don't assume we've already seen it, we've been out of the movie loop for several years!



For more Top Ten Lists, visit Oh Amanda!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen all of them, but here are the few I have: #3, #4, #9.

I liked Iron Man, mostly because I like action movies and don't really worry about plots, acting, etc. ;)

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a little too much for Julia, although I liked it. We did stop watching it because she didn't care for it.

Ok... I really love Waiting for Guffman. It's more because of some personal history with it than for the movie itself.