Friday, February 25, 2011

Organizing Challenge, Week 8

Progress Report

Well, things have been crazy in our household again this week with even more illness. And of course Monday was a holiday. And I've been under the weather. But I did okay with my Bare Minimum. I tried, despite the wacky schedule, to implement my new schedule and did okay with that too, good enough that I can now present the current rough version of my schedule.

Daily Schedule

Each day of the week is different because of our activities, so bear with me as I go through the days of the week. M=morning, A=afternoon, E=evening.

Monday is my crazy day, L goes to school till noon, then we hurry through lunch and go to speech, so I don't plan to do more than the Bare Minimum.
M: laundry, dishwasher
E: clean out food from fridge {because trash is picked up Tuesday}

Tuesday will be errand day.
M: run errands
A: laundry, dishwasher, fold clothes
E: shower

Wednesday L has no school in the morning, but we go to speech in the afternoon.
M: laundry, dishwasher
E: L bath

Thursday will be my "stay home and get lots done" day.
M: laundry, dishwasher, clean one bathroom
A: change kids' sheets, T bath, fold clothes
E: shower

Friday, my mom is usually available to babysit part of the day, so I'll run errands--that could be morning or afternoon, so I'll have to be flexible.
M: errands
A: laundry, dishwasher, cook, fold clothes

Saturday, I try to do as little as possible so...
M: laundry, dishwasher
A: {while T naps and Hubby takes L on an errand} clean living room

Sunday
M: laundry, dishwasher
A: shower, kids' baths, meal & grocery planning

Summary
I'm not sure how well my schedule "reads," but basically I have easy days and hard days, and I try to limit how much stuff I want to get done on the busy days. As I said, I want Thursdays to be my "stay home and get stuff done" day, so I put in my weekly "clean one bathroom" chore on that day. Changing sheets isn't a tough chore, but I figured I need the reminder so I put that on Thursday as well. I try to fold laundry whenever there's a pile that needs folding, but sometimes I procrastinate, so that is why I added "fold clothes" to the easier days of the week--so I'll remember to take care of anything that has piled up. The kids' baths are also flexible and depend on when they've rolled around in the mud, but just as an added reminder, they each get 2 baths per week on the above schedule. Same with my showers--at a minimum, I need to shower the nights before speech.

I've learned over these weeks that running the dishwasher and doing laundry are the keys to keeping my home running smoothly, so I've been trying to do them in the mornings this week to get them out of the way. That seems to have worked, so that's why I placed them in the mornings on days that I'm home.

My next task is to write up this schedule in an eye-catching way--the page I scribbled on didn't even fit Saturday and Sunday.

If this schedule works, I hope to be able to add more tasks to my week. :-)

Okay, that's it for this week. I'm going to keep on keepin' on. Please head over to Unsolicited Advice for more One Year To A {More} Organized Life.

1 comment:

Brenners said...

I'm with you on the laundry and dishes. If I don't do it in the morning (or right after lunch), I won't do it.