Friday, March 19, 2010

Picture My Memories--Long Skirts

Today I'm joining Tanna at Complete Organizing Solutions for her new link-up, Picture My Memories. In her words, "I strongly believe in passing on memories to future generations instead of STUFF."




I took this picture when I was finally able to part with some of my favorite skirts. It was the beginning of '08 and I was gathering stuff to donate to one of those charities that sends you a card when they will be on your street. Don't you love that?! It doesn't get any easier than that. At that point, it had been several years since I'd worn any of these skirts, but I loved them and I loved the skinnier, more carefree girl I was in them (back in the day). When I'd donated clothes in the past, I had not been willing to part with them. This time, however, I had an epiphany. Take a picture. So I took this picture and sent the skirts to a new home. :-)The skirt on the left (navy with pink flowers) was the beginning of my love affair with long skirts. I remember buying it with my BFF, I think in my early college days. It was so long ago, I don't even remember which store. I wore it with a long-sleeved pink shirt. I wore it for my birthday once in college--the year we went to the chocolate brunch. Yum. Okay that makes it 1994. When I got married in the fall of '98, it was my "wave goodbye" outfit at our reception.
------------------
I don't know how you did it, but toward the end of our reception, I went in a room across the hall and changed out of my enormous wedding gown so my mom could take it home and we could head off to our honeymoon. I changed into this skirt and shirt and returned briefly to the reception before we said our goodbyes and headed off into the sunset.-
------------------

I bought the white/cream skirt with blue and brown flowers in 1995 for my summer job in the accounting department of a law firm. I love the blue and brown color combination. I shopped with my mom and we paired it with a blue vest that I grew to hate. I soon found a different blue top to go with this skirt and it became one of my favorite outfits. I remember I wore it in spring 1997 for a choir concert. I have a video of that concert and oh how I envy how thin I was back then.
------------------
The blue skirt I remember buying at Casual Corner, though I don't know when. I remember I wore it to see the musical "Chicago," so that would've been during law school and I also wore it to my sister's college granduation in (the worst year of my life) 1999. I wore it with a cute cream colored top and it became another favorite outfit.
------------------
I remember shopping for the pink skirt in the summer of 1998. I was interning at a law firm and we had a party coming up. A fellow intern shopped with me at Express and we found this skirt. Loved it! Finding a top to match was challenging but we found a cami and short-sleeved sweater top ina light olive green. Another outfit I loved. The last time I squeezed into it was 2000 or 2001.
-----------------
So lots of good times were had in these beautiful skirts, but I'd outgrown them by several sizes and they'd just been taking up closet space for several years. I'm glad they have moved on to new homes and I'm glad I have the picture to remember them by.
-----------------
For more Picture My Memories, head here. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: